Friday, May 30, 2014

Reflective Searching

I am ashamed, but it is true, to say that I have similar characteristics of the Google Generation. They say we are all the Google Generation now though. When I need or want to know something then I pull out my smartphone, iPad, or laptop and Google it. Even if I am looking for scholarly information I Google it, but I make sure to get the information from a reputable site because it makes me feel better and more credible. I am careful when I am searching on the internet, because I know there is a lot of nonsense out there that can get me in trouble. There is a ton of information, but is it all true? No, of course not, and I know that. That is why when I do a search I am extremely careful to pay attention to what I am doing, where my information is coming from, and to cross-reference my information. I was reading the article, The Information Behavior of Researcher of the Future, and I was cringing the whole time. That was partly due to the fact that my birth year almost makes me a literal Google Generationer (I made that word up because it sounds cool) and partly because it totally describes me. I love to open a book and smell the pages, but I only love to open a book to smell the pages. I would much rather do research on Google and read books on my Kindle. I don't even like other search engines at all. I will occasionally use GoogleScholar, but again that is only to get reputable information and because it is a branch of Google (yep, Google Generationer here). I guess what I need to do to keep myself open to the world outside of Google (is there even one?!) is to open my filter bubble. AHH, that sounds scary! I need to start using the virtual libraries available to me, to strengthen my knowledge about scholarly sites, and to just get out of my comfort zone in order to learn more about the growing technology around me. 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    I enjoyed reading your post especially about getting out of your comfort zone when it comes to searching. I have realized to a degree that same thing this week. I enjoy the blogs I follow for my kindergarten ideas and have my pinterest boards but I am searching those same sites and getting stuck in a rut only to really have my eyes opened this week to how much is really out there if I improve my search skills. I have felt really akward and not very smart about searching and assignments this week because they are falling outside my comfort zone. I am going to work to continue to search outside my comfort zone because I feel it will not only make me a better student but hopefully a better teacher with some new ideas. My job tomorrow is work on search skills to add to my PLN.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete